Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Finnigan Story!!

Long, long ago, in a land far-away.......

Well, actually it was long ago, but it was here in this land of Salt Lake City. Living in Idaho, before satalite conference sessions, (I think we were only able to get one of the sessions), my parents loved coming to Utah for General Conference. They would stay at the old Temple Square Hotel, right across from temple square. My brothers, and then later on my husband, would accompany my dad across the street to the tabernacle, for general Priesthood Meeting. ( My sisters and I would drool at the window, watching all those men going in to priesthood meeting.) After the men got out of their meeting, we would all go to Snellgroves Ice Cream parlor for ice cream. It was so fun! We all loved it. It still brings back feelings of love and closeness as a family.
After my dad passed away, and with the advent of better TV coverage, the trips at conference time stopped. My brother Ronald lived across the street with his family, and until they moved, our families, and any other family member that was here, would still get together and go to priesthood meeting, ( but this time they would go to the stake center), and then we would gather at our home for banana splits. One of Ronald's girls, started calling it Finnigans, and the name and tradition stuck!!
This year started a new era in our priesthood meeting sessions, with the first Finlinson grandson going to priesthood meeting with his dad, grandpa and uncles.



Afterwards, banana split time!!








3 comments:

g&k fin said...

I am glad to know what inspired Finnigans.

Chad said...

Me too!!! And now the tradition has spread to Florida...soon the four corners of the earth!!!

Sunny said...

Elaine, it's fun that even I have been a part of Finnagins. I have such fond memories of going to your house and doing stuff like that. We sure had some fun times! I feel so lucky to have such great uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. :)